Health and Beauty
Pumpkin Face Mask
Skin Hydrating, Nourishing & Exfoliating Face Mask
It’s autumn and October- the season for pumpkins. I love me some pumpkin pie. It’s scrumptious. Pumpkins are versatile and in this season, many use them as Jack-o’-lanterns. Do you know that, pumpkins are highly beneficial in skin care? Our face mask today is composed of pumpkin, honey and natural yoghurt: three powerful ingredients.
Skin benefits of pumpkin
- Pumpkin is rich in vitamin A which speeds up healing, prevents breakouts and promotes natural moisturizing hence helping the skin to hydrate effectively giving it a radiant glow.
- Rich too in vitamin C which promotes collagen production hence thickens the dermis and diminishes fine lines resulting in firm and youthful skin. Vitamin C is also a powerful antioxidant which protects skin cells from damaging free radicals caused by UV exposure. It’s also known to inhibit melanin production in the skin which helps to lighten hyperpigmentation and evens out skin tone hence enhancing radiance. Vitamin C encourages healthy cell turnover and regeneration as well.
- Rich too in vitamin E which too is a powerful antioxidant. It’s effective in combating the effects of free radicals produced by metabolism of food and toxins in the environment. It’s also beneficial at reducing UV damage to the skin.
- The fruit enzymes in pumpkin help in exfoliating dead skin cells.
- The zinc and potassium in pumpkins aid in combating redness.
Skin benefits of honey
- Honey is very moisturizing for every skin type.
- It’s also full of antioxidants and boosts collagen production therefore preventing aging and boosting glowing skin.
- It has got antibacterial and anti-septic properties which aid in getting rid of dirt and bacteria hence preventing and treating acne.
- Honey also promotes healing and nourishing of the skin helping in fading of scars.
- It also clarifies the skin naturally opening up pores and making them easier to unclog.
Skin benefits of natural yoghurt
- Natural yoghurt helps in reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
- It also helps in brightening the skin as a result of its rich content in alpha-hydroxy acids.
- With the help of naturally occurring probiotics, yoghurt evens out the skin tone by getting rid of acne scars and age spots.
- It also helps in minimizing the effects of UV rays.
- It also increases skin elasticity.
How to prepare the pumpkin face mask
- Take half a cup of pumpkin chopped in small pieces and put in a blender.
- Add 3 tea spoons of honey to it.
- Add a quarter cup of natural yoghurt to the mixture.
- Blend all the ingredients together until puréed.
Pour the purée into a container and apply on a clean freshly washed face and neck. Store the remainder in an air tight tub and put in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Remember to leave the puréed face mask on your skin for not less than 15 minutes to reap all the benefits. Wash it off after that and follow on with your favorite moisturizer.
This nourishing, hydrating and exfoliating face mask can be used up to 3 times a week.
Ways to Boost Your Energy As a Busy Mum
As mums, we get so preoccupied with our families, careers/jobs, maybe ongoing studies and lots of other things on a daily basis. It’s so easy to lose yourself in the daily duties and responsibilities.
How to Tell When You Need an Energy Boost
- When you get headaches
Getting constant headaches can be one of the signs of fatigue.
- Getting grumpy
Getting grumpy when unprovoked is a sign that you need some you time to clear your mind, relax and boost your energy.
- Emotional wreck
Being an emotional wreck over nothing that you can point a finger to is a red flag that you need to stop and reevaluate yourself. You need an energy boost.
Clumsy much? This can be a sign of fatigue and it’s important to work on improving your energy levels once this is noted.
Tired minds forget many things. If you find yourself forgetting things easily, it could be an indicator of low energy levels.
- Feeling slothful
Having to drag yourself through the day to perform your daily chores is a serious sign of fatigue.
There are a few proven ways that can help you to improve your energy levels daily.
1) Try some you time
Getting a bit of time to yourself everyday is very important. It helps you think and process your thoughts clearly. It also helps you plan out your day without the usual distraction. You can get your you time at any time of the day when you are less likely to be distracted especially by your children/child . It could be very early in the morning before they wake up or in the evening after they go to bed.
2) Drinking plenty of water
Dehydration can make you feel like the walking dead. Drinking plenty of water through the day can immensely boost your energy levels. The recommended daily amount of water intake for adult women is 2.7 litres.
3) Watch what you eat
Eating lots of simple carbohydrate foods can do you more harm than good. They can contribute to lots of unnecessary weight gain as well. Try switching to complex carbohydrates instead. Instead of white rice, switch to brown whole grain rice. Choosing whole foods like whole wheat breads is great too. Eating good sources of protein can help your body to repair and build itself hence makes you feel better. Avoid processed and junk foods by all means.
Exercising every day makes you feel better about yourself. It could be a simple run or a walk everyday. Having time to go to the gym is great. Exercise helps to clear your mind and to keep you in shape. People who exercise every day are generally known to be more energetic.
Sleeping for at least 8 hours everyday can greatly improve your energy levels. Being sleep deprived makes you feel weak and tired. Trying to have 8 hours of undistracted sleep everyday is vital.
6) Pamper yourself
Having at least one day every month all to yourself is important. Get even a couple of hours away from your daily duties and responsibilities and pamper yourself. You could go for a manicure/ pedicure, spa or even to the salon. It makes you feel good about yourself and boosts your energy.
7) Ditch the technology
After a long day, many find themselves browsing through the telly or iPad looking for their favourite shows/programs.While physical rest is imperative for relaxation and recovery, technology may have less stress-reducing effects than we may think.Turning off the gadgets, spending some time in nature or simply opening the curtains to let some light in can relax the brain rather than stimulate it and help to rejuvenate the mind, restore focus and improve energy levels.
8) Try Uplift
Uplift is a food supplement made of natural substances which you mix with water to make an energy drink. I came across Uplift a couple of months ago and I haven’t looked back since. It includes: essential B-vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6 & B9) from Mango, Guava and Lemon and natural caffeine from Yerba Mate. Not only does it help boost your energy, but it also helps you stay alert and kicks out fatigue throughout the day.
You can get Juice Plus Uplift from here: http://www.marycochrane.juiceplus.com
Turmeric Face Mask
I love home-made skin and hair masks whereby I whip ingredients right from the cupboard and refrigerator together. They increase my creativity and nothing can beat the goodness in all natural products. They are cost friendly as well which is a plus. You don’t have to break the bank to get that flawless spa skin! Pamper your skin at home. My golden ingredients in making this mask are: whole milk, turmeric powder and extra virgin olive oil. The perfect mask for an even acne free moisturized skin.
Skin Benefits Of Turmeric Powder
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory, anti microbial and antioxidant properties which help to: bring out the skin’s natural glow, reduce scarring on the skin, fight eczema and psoriasis, brighten dark circles, prevent breakouts and even lessen active ones. Turmeric has got wound healing properties too.
Skin Benefits of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Extra Virgin Olive oil has been used for centuries to relieve everyday skin ailments. It has anti-inflammatory properties which aid in wound healing. EVOO also has antibacterial and anti-aging properties. It’s packed with antioxidants and as such protects skin cells against environmental damage and inflammation. It moisturises the skin by reducing water loss. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) is also rich in vitamins A,D,K and E which all aid in decreasing oxidative stress on the skin which when left unchecked, lead to accelerated skin aging.
Skin Benefits of Whole Milk
Whole Milk is rich in B-vitamins, alpha hydroxy acids, calcium and other potent antioxidants. It nourishes skin cells from deep within and it’s very moisturising to the skin. It’s a natural face cleanser which drives out gunk from clogged pores thus preventing blackheads. It’s high in lactic acid which lightens unwanted skin pigmentation and gently exfoliates the skin. It soothes sunburned and inflamed skin. It has got anti-aging properties too due to its Selenium and Magnesium content.
That’s why I call this face mask of these powerful trio, ‘Turmeric Gold’ as it’s packed with great and amazing skin benefits. It can be used safely upto three times a week to achieve flawless skin.